Distinguishing features of great players - Tommy Armour


Tommy Armour was a Scottish professional golfer that moved to America in the nineteen twenties. He went on to win twenty five P.G.A tour events and three majors before he retired from tournament play in 1935. Even though Armour was a great player he really made his mark coaching and especially for his book 'How to play your best all the time' (1953)This is a book I certainly recommend but I have decided to share some of my notes from another book he wrote 'a round with Tommy Armour'


With technology golf has moved on in many ways but I think the points Tommy Armour make are as relevant today as they were one hundred years ago. 'It is not solely the capacity to make great shots that makes a champion but the essential quality of making very few bad shots. Note that what separates the winner is that he made less bad strokes than the rest.'
1. Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
2. Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.
3. Play to strengths avoid weaknesses.
4. You need a tactical plan that fits your game.
5. When you miss a shot never think what you did wrong, walk up to the next shot thinking of what you must do right. 
I know these thoughts can help all golfers from those learning to professionals and in my mind are timeless lessons. I hope you enjoyed my blog and I would certainly recommend any Tommy Armour book.
Regards
Matt

0 comments: